Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Assignment Nine

As a general rule I can not stand newer poetry. I usually don't like it because it breaks away from the traditional rules of poetry which I have always loved. If you ever saw me reading modern poetry it is almost guaranteed it's because it's a required book for a class. I can't stand William Carlos Williams, I won't read Ezra Pound, I avoid Langston Hughes like the plague. I've pretty much always adored traditional poetry, ever since I can remember. When I was young after dinner my family and I would sit down and read poetry to each other, my father almost always chose Whitman, my brothers generally chose Frost, and my mom and I picked which ever poet we wanted to hear for the night, but it was always poetry that adhered to the old rules of meter, rhyme, etc. At the age of six I decided my favorite poem was "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe, later on that changed to "Little Boy Blue" by Eugene Field, later still it became a three way tie between the two previously mentioned and "Oh Captain my Captain" by Walt Whitman. The common theme all of these poems have a rhyme scheme and meter. Now I understand that some of these poets fall into the "modern poets" category but they all still adhere to old, traditional standards. I may be using the wrong words to describe the old way of writing and the newer style of writing, which I am sure Kasey will correct me on, but I hope that the rest of you can understand what I am saying. Obviously this is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree with me, but I would like to hear some similar or different opinions from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment