Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Assignment Thirteen

I would define conceptual writing as being as uncreative as possible in the since of reusing things that have already been done, basically plagiarizing and unoriginality, as well as something that is not necessarily meant to be read/seen and something that is a continuous process.

The major difference that I see between Conceptual writing and others like Language or Dada or Oulipo is that conceptual writing focuses more on being as uncreative, as unreadable as possible. The others all have creative twists to them, they make take something already written but they change it somehow, they add to it. As Kenneth Goldsmith stressed, Conceptual writing is taking something already written and rewriting it word for word with no changes what-so-ever. Conceptual writing is, or at least I think it is, trying to take something that everyone has always been taught is bad, plagiarism, and making it OK. I personally don't see how this can be considered poetry or writing, but then again I have always stressed that I believe creativity is the root of writing, not copying.

No comments:

Post a Comment